I’ve heard this one a lot.
Thanks for this valuable tidbit!
I had no idea that was all it took to get pregnant! And to think, this entire time I’ve been trying timed sex and copious amounts of infertility drugs! I really missed the memo on that one. Damn.
If relaxing alone could make babies, hippies would be crawling with little window-lickers.
And while this “relax” tactic may have worked for your cousin Britney, who tried for 3 WHOLE MONTHS (*rolls eyes*) before she got pregnant (“It only worked after she, like, completely forgot about trying and went on vacation instead!”), it doesn’t mean it’ll work for everyone. If someone is actually talking about their inability to get pregnant with a total stranger, it’s pretty likely they’ve been trying for a long, long time.
But the #1 reason to never, ever say this to someone is pretty obvious. If I told you, “You just need to lose weight, then you’ll get pregnant,” I’m basically calling you fat.
By you telling me to relax, you’re basically calling me uptight. Your “tip” is really just an insult, masquerading as bad advice.
Why stop now? Keep reading, friend.
- December 10, 2017 How to survive IVF and infertility treatments When a friend asked me what to expect with IVF—specifically, how to prepare ahead of time and how to cope throughout the process—I started thinking hard about what advice I would give someone about to start down the IVF trail. I enlisted […]
- August 1, 2013 Expansion Our projected family size has gone from two (just us), to three (+ puppy), to four (+ a Peanut). We haven't always agreed, but now, we're at an impasse. We do not agree on where to go from here.
- February 25, 2013 It’s So Easy (and other lies) My expectations of breastfeeding were way off base. I underestimated how hard it would be, especially at first. This is my warning to the mothers-to-be: it sure ain't easy.
- December 7, 2012 Announcement Season If you're drafting a holiday pregnancy announcement status update, pause for just a moment before you tell the world.
- December 2, 2012 The Mother of All Crying Fits It was just another stop for gas on the way home. 90 minutes later we finally got back on the road, after I went a little crazy, thanks to some evolutionary Mom Programming.